Dr. Kelvin Mark Mtei
Senior lecturer, Department of Water and Environmental Science and Engineering
Dr. Mtei has a BSc in Agronomy, MSc in Environmental Science, Postgraduate Diploma in Biosafety in Plant Biotechnology and PhD in Agricultural Sciences (soil fertility management). His research focuses in the areas ofchemical pollution in soils, phytoremediation of degraded land/soil, cereal-legume intercrop systems, rhizobia inoculation, nutrient use efficiency, legume cover crops, efficacy of pesticidal plants,waste-water reuse for irrigation, agricultural water management, and socio-ecological niche approach to agro-technology targeting.
Current projects activities:
- Investigator in the project “de-FLuoridation technologies for imprOving quality of WatEr and agRo-animal products along the East African Rift Valley in the context of aDaptation to climate change (FLOWERED)”, 2016-2020 (EU Horizon 2020: Euro 2.9M).
- Co-ordinator and investigator in the Singida Nutrition and Agro-ecology project (SNAP), 2015-2018 (McKnight Foundation:USD 600k)
- Co-investigator in the project “Socio-ecological resilience to soil erosion driven by extreme events: past, present and future challenges in East Africa”, 2016-2018 (NERC-DfID:GBP 168k).
- Co-investigator in the project “Improving livestock productivity through integration with crop production in the smallholder farming system in Tanga Region, Tanzania”, 2015-2019 (RUFORUM Competitive Grant System:USD 300k).
- Co-investigator of the project “Safe and Effective Pesticidal Plants for Agro-Ecological Intensification of Legumes”, 2013- 2018 (McKnight Foundation:USD100k).
- Assistant Local project leader of “agriculture and sanitation“, which is one of the three projects in the programme: Sustainable management of soil and water for the improvement of livelihoods in the Upper Pangani Basin (Tanzania), 2013- 2018 (VLIR-UOS/IUC-NMAIST programme:Euro 1.2M).
His publications can be found in this link: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=GazDXuYAAAAJ&view_op=list_works